Just yesterday a root exploit was found for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 model. As expected just after a root exploit for the HDX 7 model was obtained as well. At first this required the use of ADB but now an automated script has been put together that makes it super easy. Now you may ask why you want root access on the Kindle and the main reason will be to install the Google Play Store and get access to it’s apps easily. That’s still a work in progress but should not be far off. For now below we have instructions on how to root Kindle Fire HDX 7 on 13.3.1 firmware.
- Enable ADB on Kindle by going to setting under Device and turn on “Enable ADB”
- Download the ADB drivers from here and unzip to a folder on your computer.
- Connect your Kindle to the computer via USB. Go to device manager and you should see a yellow triangle. Right-click and choose “Update driver software” then on next screen choose “Browse my computer for driver software”. Point to the ADB folder that you extracted. Once update the yellow triangle will be gone and you should get Android Composite ADB Interface in device manager.
- Down automated script from here and unzip to a folder on your computer.
- In the folder double-click the runme.bat file and let the program run. Nothing will happen or show up on you Kindle Fire after being rooted or during the process.
- That’s it you are rooted.
You can check root by going into ES File Explorer app and under tools check on the “Root Explorer”. You should now download SuperSu then open and update it. This app will control what apps are getting root and you can also use it to unroot. You are also now setup to install Google Play Store.
It’s also recommended that if you root you should install Safestrap by Hashcode. This will install a custom recovery which will let you backup and restore your kindle. Right now this is the only way to ensure that you can recovery if you happen to brick your software by altering the Amazon software. I highly recommend it. This will also let you install custom ROM on the Kindle Fire HDX.
That’s it and enjoy.