All of the new version of Amazon HDX and 2nd Gen HD have now been successfully rooted. Previously we had already covered how to root Kindle Fire HDX 7 and this is how to root Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. The process is similar and there is a automatic script. All you have to do is install proper drivers and you are good to go. Well let’s stop talking and get to rooting. Checkout the instructions below for rooting Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 on 14.3.1 firmware.
- Enable ADB on Kindle by going to setting under Device and turn on “Enable ADB”
- Download the ADB drivers from here and unzip to a folder on your computer.
- Connect your Kindle to the computer via USB. Go to device manager and you should see a yellow triangle. Right-click and choose “Update driver software” then on next screen choose “Browse my computer for driver software”. Point to the ADB folder that you extracted. Once update the yellow triangle will be gone and you should get Android Composite ADB Interface in device manager.
- Down automated script for HDX 8.9 or HD 2nd gen and unzip to a folder on your computer.
- In the folder double-click the runme.bat file and let the program run. Nothing will happen or show up on you Kindle Fire after being rooted or during the process.
- That’s it you are rooted.
You can check root by going into ES File Explorer app and under tools check on the “Root Explorer”. You should now download SuperSu then open and update it. This app will control what apps are getting root and you can also use it to unroot. You are also now setup to install Google Play Store.
It’s also recommended that if you root you should install Safestrap by Hashcode. This will install a custom recovery which will let you backup and restore your kindle. Right now this is the only way to ensure that you can recovery if you happen to brick your software by altering the Amazon software. I highly recommend it. This will also let you install custom ROM on the Kindle Fire HDX.
That’s it and enjoy.